This slice is quick to make and it’s always popular. We spend most of our free time in the summer exploring the local and not so local area so I like a fairly robust slice to take in the picnic box. I hate it when you end up with only crumbs left by the time you get where we’re going. This one is perfect for road trips and picnics while still packing a punch of intense chocolate flavour. With the weather heating up every day this week I figured by the weekend we were going to need to pack up the car and head to the beach, I needed a swim! So first thing on the agenda was to make sure the fridge and tins were stocked with easy picnic food.
I had a bit of a hankering for brownies but while I love their chewy delectable goodness they are best eaten warm, or at least on the day they are made, they aren’t such a great option for filling up the cookie tins. This slice has that rich taste and slightly chewy texture and holds it for several days so they can be enjoyed in lunch boxes and with a sneaky coffee throughout the week.
I’m sure this slice would be good with any cocoa you have in the cupboard but I like to use a high quality unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder, it gives off that dark rich colour and intense dark chocolate flavour. My current brand of choice is Equagold premium Dutch cocoa partly because it’s relatively easily available at the local deli but I find it a great option for a variety of uses from baking to hot chocolate drinks and even to add a touch of interest to a vegetarian chilli mix, I’ll agree it sounds a bit odd but it really works.
Fast chocolate brownie slice
- 185 g butter
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 150 g flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/3 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
For the Icing:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 20 g butter
- Hot water
- Melt the butter. Add the brown sugar, egg and vanilla and beat together.
- Stir in the sifted flour, baking powder and cocoa. Add the coconut and mix until well combined
- Pour into a lined slice tin (25cm x 18cm)
- Bake in an oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes
- In a clean bowl, sift the icing sugar with the extra cocoa and stir in the extra melted butter. Add hot water a little at a time mixing well until it forms a consistency that will spread easily using a palette knife.
Save it until you need it! Pin these images to Pinterest